Veterans Affiars Coordinator Assistant
Bakersfield College Admissions & Records
Employees in this class are under general supervision. Work performed in coordinating the institution's Veterans Affairs program by working with students and maintaining proper records and performing related work as required.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED
- Counsels veterans on educational and other benefits to which they may be entitled.
- Explains the programs offered through the school by the Veteran's Administration and what is required to become and remain eligible.
- Maintains files on each veteran at the institution who receives benefits.
- Audits veterans records regularly to assure compliance with Veterans Administration rules and regulations.
- Assists veterans is applying for Veterans Administration loans and work/study programs.
- Preparing and submitting various reports to the proper federal agency.
- Performs various office tasks such as ordering and stocking forms.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of federal and organizational laws, rules, and regulations as they apply to veterans benefits at the institution.
- Knowledge of accepted interviewing techniques.
- Knowledge of business English and arithmetic.
- Ability to explain benefits.
- Ability to formulate reports.
- Ability to evaluate situations and make decisions.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with students, the public, peers and superiors